If the amount of clutter in your home causes you some stress, it may be time to go through and get rid of some things. Here are 4 methods to declutter your home.
Marie Kondo, tidying expert and star of Netflix’s hit tv show, “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo”, developed this first method. Its primary aspect is that, instead of going room to room, you declutter everything all at once. For example, you would break up your belongings into categories (books, clothing, etc.), then you would grab every particular type of item throughout your entire house and pile it up. As you go through the pile, you must ask yourself with every item if it “sparks joy”. If it does, then you may keep it and vice versa. The unwanted items are then to be sent off with gratitude. Gratitude for serving a purpose in your life, even if to show that you have no use for items like it.
This next method was developed by Peter Walsh. The short acronym allows you to have a simple and memorable way to make the decluttering process easier.
- Find the Right Time- Decluttering can be a lengthy process. Make sure you schedule a time that allows you to finish the job without interruptions.
- Anything Not Used in 12 Months- If you have had no use for something in the past year, you probably do not need it. Send it away.
- Somebody Else’s Stuff- Keeping track of your own things can get hard enough. If it does not belong to you, give it back or throw it out.
- Trash- A lot of clutter is past the point of keeping. Have a trash can close by to fill with unnecessary items.
Another simple method includes four containers. You can use boxes, baskets, etc. and label them with these:
- Trash- This first container will hold items that are past the point of donating or anything that you no longer want.
- Give away/sell- Items that no longer serve a purpose for you, might benefit someone else. Fill this container with things that you can donate or sell.
- Storage- This container should hold items that you still want to keep but do not use often. These items would then go into storage, so they do not take up valuable space.
- Put away- A lot of clutter is composed of items that are not put back in their designated spots. This container would hold all the everyday items that need to be put away.
30-Day Minimalist Game
The final method to declutter is a challenge that can be done with friends and family. The premise is that you get rid of a number of items that correspond with the day you are on. For example, on the first day you will get rid of one item, on the second day two items, and so on. The challenge is to see who can last the longest number of days. This method is a great way to declutter day by day, but it can get difficult towards the end. If you find 30 days to be too long for you, the length of the challenge can be adjusted accordingly. The main idea of the challenge is that you keep yourself accountable for decluttering while including your friends or family.
Health Insurance Questions?
We hope this information on 4 methods to declutter your home is helpful.
Empower Brokerage wants to help you understand the insurance coverage you need and how to save money getting it. Stay on top of your health and give us a call at (844) 410-1320
See our other websites: