Hair and Nail Salons are opening back up
Texas Governor, Greg Abbott has made the decision to open hair and nail salons on May 8th. Gyms will remain closed until May 18th. This is part of Abbott’s plan to open the state back up with gradually. “Hair and nail salons, barbers and tanning facilities can reopen to customers on Friday, May 8, provided they maintain social/physical distancing between customer stations and that those in waiting areas are either able to maintain the 6-foot distance between them or wait outside,” says Abbott. “Stylists and customers are strongly encouraged to wear masks while services are being performed.”
You can read more about this here.
Salons may have their own guidelines
While this is the statewide guideline for Texas, some salons will likely have stricter rules to protect the safety of their staff and customers. It is a good idea to check with your salon before arriving to ensure you follow their guidelines. Additionally, salons may require facemasks, so be prepared to bring one with you to your next hair or nail appointment.
Follow CDC and Local Health Guide Lines
While these places are opening back up, the best way to ensure they stay open is by following the guidelines set forth, including wearing masks and gloves when possible. The CDCs official guidelines state:
Wash your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, even inside your home. If possible, maintain 6 feet between the person who is sick and other household members.
- Put distance between yourself and other people outside of your home.
- Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus.
- Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people.
- Do not gather in groups.
- Stay out of crowded places and avoid mass gatherings.
- Keeping distance from others is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
- You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
- Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
- Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
- The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
- Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
- Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
Cover coughs and sneezes
- If you are in a private setting and do not have on your cloth face covering, remember to always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Clean and disinfect
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them. Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Then, use a household disinfectant. The most common EPA-registered household disinfectant will work.
Following these guidelines may prevent the spread of the virus, and also ensure that your hair and nail salons do not have to close again. Stay safe, happy and healthy!
Since insurance is oftentimes overwhelmingly confusing. We want to shed light on this industry by answering YOUR questions so submit a comment below!
Get affordable health insurance quotes by clicking here.